After a long day of running around all, we want as parents is a chance to sit down, eat our favorite comfort food, and relax. Our usual go-to is maybe we can order pizza or just grab some fast food and veg out. With this recipe, you can enjoy delicious Mexican food with very little effort that is low key and won’t cause heartburn. Even young kids will eat Take it easy Enchiladas, this was a huge hit every year in my brother’s Spanish class every year!
- 1 pound of ground hamburger ( You can also use ground pork, shredded chicken, or steak depending on what you prefer)
- Taco seasoning
- 1 8oz bag of fiesta blend shredded cheese
- 1 8oz container of sour cream
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper (your choice of color)
- 2 10oz cans of either green or red enchilada sauce (I have also used marinara sauce in place of enchilada sauce for young kids and it was a good mild alternative.)
- Small corn tortillas (Flour is also acceptable depending on your preference)
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Step 2: Combine taco seasoning to hamburger per the instructions on the packet. Cook and drain ground hamburger or meat of choice. Place in a large bowl.
Step 3: Cut up onion and green pepper. Set aside a little bit for garnishing the top. Mix the rest into the hamburger mixture.
Step 4: Mix in half of the cheese and the container of sour cream. Set mixture to the side.
Step 5: Get a casserole dish and spray with cooking spray or a thin layer of vegetable oil. Fill the bottom of the dish with a shallow layer of enchilada sauce.
Step 6: Spoon the ground beef mixture into each tortilla and close like a burrito. Line each filled tortilla into the casserole dish until they fit snugly into the pan.
Step 7: Top the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle the top with remaining peppers, onions, and cheese.
Step 8: Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with sour cream or a side of Spanish rice. Enjoy!
Serves 4 people